The Law Offices of Mary Ann Beaty, P.C. with Bennett, Weston, LaJone & Turner, P.C. - Dallas Family Law Lawyer Read Our Blog
Call Today for an Appointment
  • Over 40 years of Experience
  • Board Certified in Family Law
  • Is also a Mediator and
    Practices Collaborative Law

Dallas Fathers' Rights Lawyer

You Can Take Action as a Father

The days of child rearing as the sole responsibility of the mother are behind us. Today, many fathers participate in raising their children and fight to obtain their parental rights if they are not recognized as the child's legal father. An experienced fathers' rights lawyer can help you pursue your rights to your child.

If you are seeking fathers' rights, contact the Law Offices of Mary Ann Beaty, P.C. As a board certified family law attorney, Mary Ann Beaty has the knowledge and experience you need to establish your rights to your child. Please call our office at 800-491-7565 to schedule an appointment with a Dallas fathers' rights attorney today.

Establishing Rights to Your Child

Unmarried fathers have the right to file a paternity action and be legally recognized as a child's father. If they are already paying child support, they can file a suit to enforce visitation. In addition, they can file for primary custody if they believe the mother to be unfit.

Once a man is legally named as the father, he has the same rights as the mother. The Texas constitution guarantees equal rights for men and women, and the court cannot show an automatic preference for mothers over fathers.

Unfortunately, parents sometimes do not realize that they must prove to the court that they deserve parental rights. To be treated fairly by the court, being a good father (or mother) is important. This may include making court ordered child support payments, adhering to custody and visitation schedules, participating in the child's life and maintaining a healthy environment for the child. The Texas Family Code emphasizes the orders must always be in the best interest of the child.

To make an appointment with a Richardson child custody attorney, please call 800-491-7565 or contact us online.